Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Man's Cookbook

When we got married a friend gave us How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. The friend's mother was a chef and highly recommended the book. Since both my husband and I enjoy cooking, we looked forward to trying the book out.

I like the book but my husband loves this book. It is always the first book he goes to when he is hunting down a new recipe. I have since found a couple other men who really enjoy this cookbook, and yet I have never heard a woman praise it as highly.

The only reason I can think of for this is that because Mark Bittman taught himself to cook, he knows and explains the basics in a way that men find appealing. He doesn't bog the book down in culinary profundity, but tells it like it is with a cut-and-dry-no-frills kind of way. This is pure speculation, so if there are any other theories I would love to hear them.

No comments: