Saturday, January 31, 2009

Train Cakes

My son's birthday is coming up and he has requested a train cake. My husband is the resident cake baker, but I thought I would help him out by Googling "train cakes." I was thinking he would make a sheet cake and cut out a silhouette of an engine, but I didn't see any pictures of something like that.

I found a very cute but time consuming train cake, lots of sheet cakes that required meticulous decorating skills (funny I can't find them now that I am looking for a link), and these little train toppers that I remember my mom using when I was growing up.

I had forgotten about those train toppers until I saw them online. I decided that as far as convenience goes, those probably will be our best bet AND we can use them again in the future. After doing a quick online search I found a couple cake decorating stores in the area, so Monday morning I will see if either of them have the toppers in stock. If not, then we will be reviewing our options of the various train cakes out there.

No comments: