Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Nifty Crockpot Blog

I stumbled upon a site called Slow Cooker Recipes. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't update their blog very often, but hopefully when they do it will be good.

I love the idea of crockpots, but I have a couple objections to the majority of recipes available.

First, almost all the recipes I have seen call for large portions of meat, such as a roast, or a whole chicken. Both for financial and for health reasons, when we eat meat it normally is mixed with other food, such as a pasta dish, casserole or stir-fry. Rarely do we ever have large portions of meat, but that seems to be the norm if one uses the crock pot.

Secondly, many recipes call for convenience ingredients which are expensive and/or unhealthy, such as canned cream of mushroom soup or some sort of soup mix. Sometimes I can substitute a homemade version, but the point of having a crockpot is not to have to do a lot of cooking. Having to take the time to make one of the ingredients defeats the purpose of having a crockpot in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always prefer crock pot for cooking...