Thursday, May 31, 2007

What's for Dinner: Quick Fiesta Casserole

This recipe came from one of the sample menus from Saving Dinner. It was the first time I tried it and we all liked it.

Quick Fiesta Casserole

•1 lb prepared black beans
• 1 8oz. jar salsa
• 2 tbs. taco sauce
• 2 tsp. each cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder
• 2 C. baked tortilla chips
• 1 C. low fat sour cream
• ½ C. sliced green onions
• 1 medium tomato, chopped
• 4 oz. cheddar cheese, low fat
• Shredded lettuce and taco sauce, if desired

Heat oven to 350°. In a skillet, stir in beans, salsa, 2 tbs. taco sauce, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Heat to a simmer; stirring occasionally. Place tortilla chips in un-greased 2 quart casserole. Top with bean mixture. Spread with sour cream. Sprinkle with onions, tomatoes and cheese. Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, 20-30 minutes. Serve on bed of lettuce with extra chips and taco sauce if desired. Serves six.

My comments:

I started by cutting the recipe in half, but somewhere along the line forgot to halve the ingredients so ended up with more than I intended. I used canned beans instead of dried because I can never cook dried beans long enough for some reason. Instead of taco sauce I put in two tablespoons of my homemade taco seasoning along with a little water. I didn't have much hope of finding baked tortilla chips, but discovered a company that is advertising "New! Baked tortilla chips!" so I was able to used baked after all. I also broke the chips up slightly so that they wouldn't take up as much room in the pan. Finally, I only put sour cream on half because not all of us like it. Despite all these changes, my husband and I both agreed that it is something that we should try again sometime.

No comments: